Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Take A good look in The Mirror

    During my long extended vacation, I had an amazing epiphany about how the way we view ourselves affects our intimacy walk with God.


    See it all starts in the Garden of Eden. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them".

    While I was on vacation I happened to gain a few kilos, and because of that I noticed I struggled with looking myself in the mirror. When I did look at myself in the mirror I said negative things about myself that were not so flattering. The thing was during my vacation I had specifically hope that I would use this time to especially take the time to focus on meditating in God's word, worship, prayer and lots of sleep. However most of the time during my focus sessions I honestly had a hard time pressing in, or feeling in touch with God. I kept asking myself what was going on. Why am I having a hard time being still in God's presence, while on my vacation I realized that most of the time I was plain negative. I had a hard time sleeping; I didn't want to meet up with any friends in fact talking to God started feeling like a chore. I honestly felt like I was literally avoiding God. It felt easy to spend time watching "the real housewives of new Jersey and Real housewives of Atlanta compared to writing love letters to Jesus. I honestly spent at least four days of my honeymoon vacation with God mostly depressed hahahah.

    In the middle of the night while lying in my bed crying and I asked the Lord what is happening I feel were not connecting lately, I told the Lord that this was supposed to be our get away together yet here I am drained with four sleepless nights and craving more salt and vinegar potato chips.

    I told Jesus that you're supposed to fill me up but here I am just feeling miserable. During the night the Lord showed me two things that He, that one of the reasons I couldn't sleep was because of the caffeine in the cough medicine I was taking ha-ha. Two the Lord showed me that I had been speaking negative things about myself while looking into the mirror. I finally had the revelation that because I was avoiding the mirror I was also avoiding God, which equated to me not being able to connect in intimacy with Him. Avoiding my image resulted to feeling a void with God.

    In John 1:18 it says "No one has ever seen God, but God the One and only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known"(Jesus Christ)

    Now I know I've never seen God in person or in flesh, but I know his presence. It makes total sense that God would create each one of us in His image, how we see ourselves is how we relate to God. If you hate the way you look, or you're very critical towards yourself and others it is possible that your relationship with God will embody how you perceive yourself. I believe that God created us in his image so that we would be able not to only relate to him, but experience a void filling intimacy with Him.

   To have a high Self esteem is not God's concept of loving yourself. However believing and knowing that God loves you and that you resemble him is the confidence we need to know and believe that when we look in the mirror we're women of Great worth. The Word of God is not only a spiritual mirror of us, however it is a character building mirror that affirms our Godly image and Identity in Jesus Christ. I believe speaking and praying the word of God while you look yourself in the mirror is a way of asserting truly who you are.

Recommended reading

Eat the cookie Buy the shoes (Joyce Meyer)

Recommended Song

How He Loves Us (Kim walker Smith)

No comments:

Post a Comment